Consider the fanny packs.
With biodegradable balloons and organic snacks, Denver Democrats hope to stage the "greenest convention" ever.
The host committee for the Democratic National Convention wanted 15,000 fanny packs for volunteers. But they had to be made of organic cotton. By unionized labor. In the USA.
They have a 'Director of Greening', who has the following objectives:
* banners made of canvas or corn-based bio-plastics
* bikes available for convention goers
* stage built of recycled plywood, eco-friendly paint
* all trash will be separated for recycling
* balloons should be biodegradable
* discourage fried food, push organic. At least 50% of each meal fruits/veggies.
* energy efficient light bulbs, water-saving spigots
* solar power for media pavilions
I think it's great to practice what you preach. Congress is exempt from most laws it applies elsewhere, such as equal-opportunity and affirmative action laws, rules for sprinklers, minimum wage, laws against lobbying. If democrats want to pay an extra 30%, and deal with the annoyance of trying to see which item goes in which trash can, more power to em.
Post a Comment