Monday, December 03, 2012

New Low Vol Index

This one is a bit too cute for me. The CBOE LOVOL Index combines a portfolio of SP 500 stocks and simultaneously selling SPX calls and buying one-month VIX 30-delta calls on a monthly basis. The LOVOL mix of VIX and SPX options reduces the chance of shortfalls below -10% but still preserves the bulk of market gains. By construction, the LOVOL delivers returns between the BXM and VXTH, or a risk profile between a cushion and a tail hedge.


The key seems to be reflected in the following total return chart above, where you have the new index in orange, the SPY in white. The low vol index generated a lower downturn in the 2008 recession. Alas, these are indices created post-2008, so they overstate the benefits (backtest always look better than real-time). Further, the benefits are pretty small, just in really big downturns...perhaps.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello my loved one! I wish to say that this article is amazing, nice written and include almost all
significant infos. I'd like to see extra posts like this .
Also see my site > captain black

Anonymous said...

Hello, I enjoy reading through your article post.
I like to write a little comment to support you.
My web blog ; drum tobacco

Anonymous said...

I appreciate, lead to I discovered exactly what I used to be looking for.
You have ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man.
Have a great day. Bye
Feel free to surf my web site http://www.yourtobaccosstore.com/6-Amber-leaf